Saturday, April 20, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

Influenza by Jeremy Brown commemorates the 100th anniversary of the 1918 flu pandemic and the advances (or lack of) in the past 100 years.  I am fascinated by the 1918 flu, but this book would appeal to almost anyone.  It flows well and provides plenty of information without being too technical.  I especially enjoyed the chapter on current medicines used to treat the flu and how the government is working to prevent a repeat of the 1918 pandemic.  Both left me without much hope that current medicine has advanced faster than the flu virus.  This is easily one of the best books on influenza that I have read.

The fourth book in the Wedding Planner Mystery series by Stephanie Blackmoore is Gown with the Wind.  Mallory says she is fine with handling the wedding arrangements for her ex-fiance Keith and his new bride Becca.  When Becca and another bride get into a fight over a Scarlett O'Hara wedding gown, Mallory starts to regret her decision.  Things go from bad to worse when the second bride is found dead in Becca's swimming pool.  This is a fun, light series and checks off all of the cozy mystery boxes.  I look forward to more in the series.

Steamed Open by Barbara Ross is the seventh book in the Maine Clambake Mystery series.  Summer has arrived, and that means Julia and her family are busy with the clambakes for tourists.  When the heir of the town's mansion and public beach access puts up a gate blocking access, everyone is in an uproar.  Unfortunately one person is angrier than the others when the heir becomes a murder victim.  I love the setting and descriptions.  I was not even discouraged when I figured out the mystery early on.  I did find Julia's boyfriend to be extremely tiring.  I hope his character "grows up" before the next book. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: