Thursday, December 11, 2008

Latest Cakes

I have not done any cake decorating since the pumpkin cake in October. It was time for my church's quarterly birthday party so I had to break out the cake pans and the decorating supplies. I decided to make two cakes this time and stuck with a holiday theme.

I did a simple icing job on the Christmas tree since I did not think my wrist would hold out for doing elaborate designs on two cakes. I did a squiggle border at the base of the tree and rope decoration and red ornaments on the tree.

The second cake was a Santa bear. I have to say that when I started outlining the details it was really ugly. I mean scary, should not be taken around young children ugly. In the end it turned out okay. I will give this another go next time and omit the hat and write "Happy Birthday" inside the gift. I also want to try using black to outline rather than the dark brown, which was not dramatic enough for my liking.

It was good that I made two cakes since only a sliver of the gift and about half of the tree were left. I attribute that more to my baking skills than the decorating. The icing I use is yummy. The best part is the cake thanks to the real butter and farm eggs.

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

Adorable cakes! It bet they were both delicious!!