Thursday, February 16, 2012

Freezer Cooking - Cake Batter

I often find myself needing a few cupcakes and prefer the taste of fresh baked ones.  I saw a post on a blog regarding freezing cake batter.  I love freezer cooking and was very interested in this.  The post mentioned that the batter could be put into a freezer bag, frozen, and then thawed when ready to bake as cake layers or cupcakes.  It also stated that the batter could be put into cupcake liners and frozen. 

Monday I mixed up a cake mix and put the batter into cupcake paper lined muffin tins.  Once the cake batter was frozen, I put the frozen cake batter cups into gallon freezer bags.

I apologize for the horrible photo.

Yesterday I removed four paper cups of batter.  I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and immediately put the muffin tin into the oven.  When the oven was heated, I set the timer for 15 minutes.  This seemed to work well, and the cupcakes were perfectly done.  I think they rose better and had a nicer shape when cooked this way.


When they cooled I frosted them and stuck in a chocolate candy pick.  They were soft and had no indication of having been cooked from frozen batter.  The best part is that I was able to cook just four rather than 24.  I need to cook a dozen this weekend but expect the results to be the same. 



I am excited about how well this little experiment turned out.  I will definitely be mixing up more cupcake batter to freeze.  I can do that when I have extra time and easily cook cupcakes at a moment's notice. 

No comments: