Thursday, February 2, 2012

Grocery Shopping & Weekly Menu

Sadly no pictures again this week.  I was rushing to get the groceries put away and lunch ready as it was 2:30 pm when I got home.  I guess we will start with the shopping totals.  I took the money left from last week and put it toward my garden seed bill so I was starting back over with my two week total of $100.  I admit that one of my purchases was not grocery related.  I was in the Dollar Tree looking for a new sugar container and found a plastic canvas book.  I took the money for it out of the grocery budget, but since it was just a dollar (+ tax) let's all agree to let it slide.

My total at the Dollar Tree was $4.31.  In addition to the book, I bought steak sauce and two pairs of gloves for washing dishes.  The gloves are for washing dishes which is sort of grocery related.

Next stop was Save-a-Lot.  I got tortilla chips, tortillas, salsa, lemons, and milk.  I seriously need to work on making my own tortillas.  I know they will be healthier.  That might be a February to-do.  My total there was $12.82. 

Finally I went to Harvey's.  I am heading back next week when I get a few coupons together to do a deal.  Since I was already in town I decided to pick up a few things.  I purchased chips, Keebler Pecan Sandies (a treat for a recovering DH), steak sauce (with a coupon to compare to the off brand), soup (restocking my "sick shelf"), mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, avocados, and cheese.  My total for this trip was $23.87.

I have $59 left for next week.  I will use some of it to do a deal at Harvey's, but I might be able to avoid shopping again for the most part. 

Menu
Crab egg salad - We have plenty of eggs thanks to our chickens, but I do not care for plain egg salad.  I mix in a can of crab meat to make it yummy and still affordable.  We always get two meals out of this.

Bacon, tomatoes & rice, butterbeans - The bacon, rice, and butterbeans were from the freezer.  The tomatoes were home canned.

Shrimp, fries, slaw - I will use a cabbage from the garden to make slaw.

Steak, twice baked potatoes, salad  - The steaks and twice baked potatoes are from the freezer.  The salad is from the greenhouse.  I will add in some mushrooms and tomatoes from my shopping trip.

Pizza & salad - I have a bunch of lettuce from the greenhouse so we will be eating salad quite often.

Black bean enchiladas - I found one more container of black beans in the freezer so I want to use them before they get lost again.

Sandwiches - Weekends are always a questions.  We have a variety of sandwich options including tuna, barbecue, turkey, PB&J.

No comments: