Monday, June 11, 2012

Canning - Pickles

The cucumber plants produced very well.  I ended up canning a few pickles this year.  My husband does not care for homemade pickles, but I decided to make some spicy ones (which he does not like either) for myself.  I used my normal dill pickle recipe and added a bit of jalapeno to each of the jars.  I only did five jars since this is a trial.



 Every year I make about two batches of hot dog relish (or sweet pickle relish).  It is a mix of cucumbers, onion, celery, and peppers.  It is great on hot dogs, but I also use it when making cole slaw.  I can easily eat it straight from the jar as well.

I also made a few jars of sweet pickles.  I could not get that picture to upload at all though.  I think pickles are some of the easiest things to can.  This extra bit of work will save me money later in the year.  I also tend to think that home canned foods taste better.

3 comments:

Helena said...

I adore pickled gherkins and vegetables... yours look so good. you should start a farm shop Dawn!!!

Susan in SC said...

It's a good thing my boys are not in your house - they LOVE pickles!! Yours look beautiful!

Reginas Cottage said...

hello dawn
your pickles look beautiful.i love pickles too.great blog!!
blessings,regina
www.reginassimplelife.blogspot.com