Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Garden Update - Finally!

I apologize that it took so long to get these pictures posted.  I had a sick husband at the end of last week and over the weekend. 

The pineapple is really growing.  I honestly have no idea when it will be ready to harvest.  It still feels very hard so I am guessing that it is not even close to being ripe yet.

This looks like tall weeds, but it is actually sugar cane.  My dad planted it a couple of months ago.  Later it will put up thick stalks which can be harvested.

The squash plants are still producing.  We have pretty much been able to keep up with it.  This variety is half yellow and half green.  I also have the regular yellow squash.

The zucchini plants are still blooming.   I have put several packets of shredded zucchini in the freezer.  The chickens have also gotten to eat some.

At this point in the season the cucumbers are out of control.  My mom has made dill pickles.  I have made pickle relish, sweet pickles, and spicy dill pickles.  We have eaten cucumbers and given them away.  The chickens have eaten them almost daily for the past week.  Fortunately chickens love cucumbers, and they are good for the chickens as well.

My jalapeno peppers are very spicy this year.  I have put about two dozen poppers in the freezer and used some in my spicy dill pickles.  I have four plants that are loaded.  I will freeze more poppers and also make hot pepper jelly later.

This is the Fish pepper.  I love the variegated leaves.  It only has tiny peppers at this point.  I am anxious to see how they look and to taste them.  They are supposed to be hot as well.

Pumpkin/Gourd seedlings.  My other pumpkin plants are fading fast.  (I have a picture below. )  I have planted two types of pie pumpkins, a regular carving pumpkin, gourds, white pumpkins, and Lunch lady gourds.  I am very excited about the last.  I hope to have piles of lovely pumpkins in a few months.

Tomato plants in a raised bed

Cherry Tomatoes

I have two plum tomato plants and both are loaded with well over 20 tomatoes each.

Catnip - If you look closely you can see the wire cage that protects it from being completely eaten by the cats.

Oregano growing out of control.  I need to trim it up and share with the chickens.

A sideways picture of the cantaloupes.  This is the little fence I put up to protect the plants from the ducks.

Banana pepper

Bell Pepper

Yellow Pear Cherry Tomatoes

Here are the pumpkins that looked so lush just a few weeks ago.  The warmer winter caused the seeds to sprout much too soon.  I might get a couple of gourds but not much else.  The new seedlings should do better.

1 comment:

Helena said...

Gosh, it all looks lush and healthy, well done!! I'm envious!! My herbs are doing well, the salads have already gone over (we were just away 6 days and they are flowering!) so I need to plant/sow new ones, and my tomatoes are nowhere near being ready. We are back to having rain and chilly weather so perhaps it will be another tomato disaster year. My cucumber plants died - think it was too cold. I'll try again in a few weeks... I adore cucumber!!