Friday, June 15, 2012

Oven "Fried" Okra

I will be the first to admit that southerns love fried foods.  We fry everything including vegetables.  Fried vegetables may not be good for you, but they are definitely good tasting.  One of my favorites is fried okra. I am making an effort to eat healthier which means little to no frying. 

I came across this recipe for oven fried okra.  The blogger used frozen then thawed okra.  We have okra from the garden so I was using fresh.  Fresh okra does have much liquid so my first attempt left me with powdery covered slices of okra.  My husband said that it was still pretty good so I decided to tweak the recipe and try again.

I preheated the oven to 420 degrees. I sliced the okra and put it in a bowl that had a lid.  I added salt and pepper and gave the bowl a good shake.  Then I added a tablespoon or so of olive oil and shook it again.  Finally I added in a bit of corn meal and gave it a final shake.  (*You may need to add more olive oil or corn meal to get it to cover properly.)  I poured it on a cookie sheet and baked about 20 minutes.

My okra was not covered as thick with corn meal as the original recipe.  It still had a nice corn meal crunch.  I do not think I will ever fry okra again.

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

My mom used to cook okra this way after my dad had his first heart attack. It was good!