Saturday, June 30, 2012

Weekly Shopping and Menu

I am taking part in a grocery budget challenge that starts next month, but I decided to get a jump start on it this past week.  The budget challenge is $25/per person per week.  I am trying to keep to $25 per week and am saving the extra money for a trip to Sam's Club in the next month or so and also have money for a couple of bulk purchases

My purchases were:
two packages of wheat tortillas (marked down) - $2.38
Boston butt (used a $3 coupon for fresh meat) - $8.39
potatoes - $2.50
bananas - $1.34
cherries - $1.73
sour cream - $0.99

My total with taxes was around $17.  I was pleased with this week's total.  The tortillas will become bean burritos and will provide several meals.  I will put the Boston butt in the crockpot at the first of the week for barbecue.  I should get four to five meals from it.

Next, the menu....
After a fairly mild June, the weather has turned hot, hot, hot.  Lunches tend to be lighter meals such as sandwiches, salads, and similar items.  I am going to be eating tonight at a family reunion so my husband will probably eat cereal.  He will have worked all day and is skipping the reunion.  Sunday night meals are usually sandwiches due to simplicity after church. 

Other meals planned for the beginning of July include:
Spaghetti with fresh pasta sauce
Steaks, baked potatoes, and salad
Pork tenderloin, macaroni and cheese, peas

I hope to be back to a normal posting schedule next week.  I am expecting life to settle down now that June is (almost) over.

No comments: