Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dehydrating Bananas

I love, love, love my Excalibur dehydrator.  On our shopping trip to Sam's Club I picked up several bunches of bananas with the intention of drying them for the rabbits.  Our rabbits are quite spoiled, and they love a fruit treat.  They are picky though and do not like commercially dried fruits.  I think it has something to do with all of the extra additives.

I sliced enough bananas to fill 8 trays.  I tried to slice them evenly and at a thickness of about two quarters (give or take). 


I then turned the dehydrator on and set the timer for 24 hours - yes 24 hours!  I wanted them to be as dry as possible.  They will not be as crisp as the store bought ones.  I also opted not to spray these with lemon juice.  The rabbits do not care if they are a bit brown. 



I vacuum sealed the slices and will give them to the rabbits as a treat.  I am also using them to help tame the two new girls.  They are my best friend if I have a banana slice.

No comments: