Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sharpie Mug

I needed a project for my children’s Bible class and decided to try out the Sharpie decorated mugs.  After a bit of research of the various pins, I settled on a set of instructions.  Here is what I used and how I did it.  First I decided to use the Sharpie oil-based paint markers rather than the regular Sharpie markers.  From all of the reading I did, it seemed that paint markers lasted longer.  I bought plain white mugs from the Dollar Tree.

 

To prep the mugs I wiped each down with an alcohol wipe.  When it dried, I mapped out a simple design.  It is best to do a trial mug to see how the colors will look after it is baked.  I discovered that blue turned green, orange turned brown, and the purple turned a dark pink.

 

After I drew on the design, I let the mug set for 24 hours.  I placed the mug on a foil lined cookie sheet and put it in the oven.  I set it for 450 degrees.  Once it reached that temperature I started a timer at 30 minutes.  When the time expired, I left the mug in the oven so it could cool gradually.  The mugs do need to be hand washed. 

The center of each flower was done with an orange marker.  The flower on the left was pink, and the flower on the right was done in purple.


 


 The verse was written in blue, but it turned a green color when baked.



                    Cheap mugs

 

Steps

  1. Wipe each mug down with an alcohol wipe.
  2. Draw on design.  If you make a mistake, you can quickly wipe it off with an alcohol wipe.
  3. Let mugs set for 24 hours.
  4. Place mugs in cold oven on foil lined cookie sheet.  Set oven to 450 degrees.  When it reaches the temperature, start a timer for 30 minutes.
  5. At the end of 30 minutes, turn off oven but leave mugs in the oven to cool gradually.
  6. Hand wash mugs after each use.

No comments: