Sunday, March 2, 2014

Weekly Savings

I am trying to write stuff down throughout the week otherwise I cannot remember what all I have done.



We were not able to attend our youngest niece's birthday party.  I had purchased an item, but the cost of shipping was going to be almost as much as the gift.  Instead I put the purchased gift aside for Christmas.  I ordered a gift to be shipped free directly to the birthday girl through Amazon Prime.  The cost of the gift was about the same as the cost of shipping the first gift.  I also used gift cards earned through Swagbucks to pay for the gift.


W has been saving his citrus peels and I am making some orange vinegar for cleaning.  I used a glass jar I already had, and I always keep white vinegar on hand.


I baked bread and made pizza dough from scratch.  I made salad dressings and baked cookies for W's lunch.  I stretched some leftover chicken tenders by making big salads topped with the sliced chicken tenders and hard boiled egg slices.  We also ate leftovers a couple of times.


Made a gift for a young cousin's birthday using items that I had on hand. 


I purchased DVDs for us taking advantage of sales.  I purchased some used.  Others I was able to purchase new sets for less than the cost of a used copy.  These can be resold after we watch them.  Some evenings our Internet service does not work which means we cannot watch TV.  W has to have the TV on so this gives us something to watch.


I discovered that I really love listening to college basketball games.  I can purchase a year long audio subscription to Duke sports for just $30.  Sports is often the main reason people give for not being able to cancel a cable/satellite subscription.  I decided it was just not worth $1,080 for me to watch basketball games.  I save $1,050 by choosing an audio subscription through the college team I love.  The college's announcers are much more pleasant to listen to than the national announcers.   This $30 subscription gives me access to the team radio shows and post-game interviews. 


I made the Swagbucks goal each day for the month of February which earned me $40 in Amazon gift cards.  These will go toward the purchase of gifts.



1 comment:

terricheney said...

Lordy, you just made me calculate what we spend on satellite each year...and then I added in cell phone. Ack. lol