Monday, July 13, 2015

Book Review: Unafraid

Unafraid:  Trusting God in an Unsafe World by Susie Davis begins with a school shooting in 1978.  An event we unfortunately think of as common was rare then.  The author was a witness to this tragedy, and it began a life of fear and distrust in God.  As the book continues, readers are given insight into how Mrs. Davis overcomes her fear and finds trust and hope in God.

The book was engaging and is much more than a self-help book.  I felt like I was being given a personal glimpse into Mrs. Davis' life and how fear controlled her.  I could see myself in some parts as she described worrying about things that have not even occurred.  At some point fear gripes each and every person.  We must choose how to respond.  I can easily let myself get caught up in all of the bad news and tragic events going on in the world.  The book did remind me to focus on One greater than myself.

I enjoyed the study guide included with the book.  Personally I would have liked to see the questions at the end of each chapter rather than at the end of the book.  I could see the current location being much more of a problem with an e-book.  This is a faith based book which means it will not appeal to everyone.  It is one that I will recommend to my Christian family and friends.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments: