Saturday, November 21, 2015

Book Review: Andy and Don

I would not call myself a huge fan of The Andy Griffith Show, but I did enjoy watching the entire series from beginning to end on Netflix a couple years ago.  I was interested in learning more about the friendship of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts.  Andy and Don:  The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show by Daniel de Vise was a great first choice on the subject.

The book opened with the early years of Andy and Don from their Southern roots to their first trips to New York City.  As the book transitioned in the years of The Andy Griffith Show and shortly after, I started to regret my choice.  The author did not sugar coat how Andy and Don truly were which was not the idyllic life portrayed in Mayberry.  I wanted to remember the pair in good terms without all of the bad things.  The further in I got the more I realized they were truly normal people and responded to fame as most people do.

By the end of the book, I was nearly in tears.  Changes occurred in the lives of Andy and Don in their later years.  I understood that one constant through everything was their genuine friendship.  While the classic TV show may be the most common remembrance, their relationship was so much more.  The book was everything I had hoped and then some.  Be prepared for some unexpected stories of the pair.  Otherwise the book in a wonderful tribute of friendship!

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love that show. At one time it was on every morning on TVLAND,now just silly shows. I am sad the book made you cry, I want to remember them as they were on the show. Cheryl