Saturday, November 7, 2015

Book Review: The Herbal Apothecary

Just in case you are looking for a book or two to curl up with on the weekend, I decided to start posting all of my reviews on the weekends.

I am a big fan of herbal remedies.  I know modern medicine is great, but if herbs were so awful, humans would not have made it this far.  The internet is full of information.  One never knows quite how reliable it is though.  I do have a few favorite blogs that I trust.  I am always interested in reading and researching on my own.  The Herbal Apothecary:  100 Medicinal Herbs and How to Use Them by JJ Pursell is a great reference guide.  The first part of the book offers a look at herbal traditions and basic human anatomy.  This leads readers into a directory of 100 medicinal herbs.  My favorite part is that is that each herb featured has a thorough description and a full color photo.  This helps with identification.  The medicinal uses of the herb are discussed and a medicine cabinet section discusses dosage.

Once readers are familiar with the herbs, herbal treatment plans are introduced.  Each process is described in depth.  Readers then have a variety of recipes for various health issues.  These recipes alone make the book an excellent reference guide.

My only negative is that one could go broke purchasing all of the herbs used in the recipes.  Many recipes require four different herbs.  While many of the herbs are used in multiple recipes, one would still need an extensive variety.

Overall I do like the book and would definitely purchase it to add to my herbal library.  The information is useful to anyone looking for alternative treatment options.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: