Saturday, March 10, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Raspberry Danish Murder by Joanne Fluke is the latest book in the Hannah Swensen Mystery series.  I read this book mainly due to the fact that the last one ended as a cliffhanger.  I am disappointed with the direction of this series.  Hannah married someone she barely knew and has turned into a shadow of her former self.  She is no longer a strong cozy mystery character.  While this book has a mystery, it is not the focus.  The focus instead is on drinking coffee constantly and baking new cookies.  A new cookie is baked every day, and I wonder just how large the cookie shop is to hold all of these varieties of cookies.  I did get some resolution to the last cliffhanger and there is most likely enough to draw me into another book.  I keep reading in hopes that the series will get back to what it used to be.

Amanda Flower's second book in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series is Lethal Licorice.  Bailey is taking her recently deceased grandfather's place in the Amish Confectionery Competition.  One of the competitors, Josephine, is not thrilled to see non-Amish Bailey allowed to take part.  When Josephine is found dead, Bailey is an obvious suspect along with Josephine's niece.  Bailey must clear their names and find the real murderer.  This is one of my favorite new cozy mystery series, and this book did not disappoint.  This book stands on its own, but I highly recommend reading both books.  I love the setting, the characters, and the writing style.  I am already looking forward to the third book!

I Know What You Bid Last Summer by Sherry Harris is the fifth book in the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery series.  Sarah gets a job organizing a sports equipment swap for the local school board and adds in some autographed auction items to bring in some funds.  While organizing the equipment in the gym the night before the sale, Sarah is attacked.  She carries on with the sale and makes an awful discovery near the end of the sale.  The school superintendent is murdered with a ski pole.  Sarah begins her own investigation and begins receiving threats.  She juggles this while organizing the world's fanciest garage sale complete with a chandelier, white tent, and free snacks.  This book can be read on its own.  I adore the characters in this book.  Sarah and her friends and neighbors are a wonderful group, and I look forward to reading more of their adventures!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: