Saturday, March 24, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews


Death al Fresco by Leslie Karst is the third book in the Sally Solari Mystery series.  Sally is taking an outdoor painting class when her dog finds a dead body.  The dead man just happens to be a customer at her dad's restaurant, and the same man her dad had an altercation with a few days earlier.  Sally sets out to clear her father's name.  The mystery and setting for this book were interesting enough.  I am still amazed that Sally has no real responsibilities when it comes to her restaurant.  Several of the supporting characters are stronger than the main character.  My problem with this book is the political angle.  I read a book to relax not have to have political views forced upon me.


Parnell Hall's The Purloined Puzzle is part of the Puzzle Lady Mystery series.  I have not read any of the previous books, but I was able to follow this book just fine.  Cora is the Puzzle Lady, and she gets an unwelcome visit from a teenager asking her to solve a puzzle.  Cora gets a reprieve when the puzzle is stolen.  She quickly gets caught up in a bigger puzzle involving a body, her ex-husband, and that same pesky teenager.  This was a fun book, and I enjoyed the puzzle aspect of it.  I will definitely be looking for more from this series!


disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: