Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First Pantry Challenge Test

I am barely into the first week of my pantry challenge and already am faced with a test. I live in the South and when someone passes you take food to the family. I suppose this happens everywhere, but it is a must in the South. Grief and home cooked food go together here. I will be taking homemade rolls, a cherry pie (found in the bottom of the freezer today while I was digging for chicken breasts), and possibly some chicken dish. None of these items will put a dent in what I had planned for this month. First test passed!


Today's meals were:
Tacos ~I used up two pieces of cheese and a tomato from the garden. Ground meat was free, and I have a ton of shells in the pantry for some reason. Okay not literally a ton but three packages. I used the book "Make a Mix Cookery" to make my taco seasoning. I like that I can control the amount of salt. I bought several bags of lettuce on sale last week and had some sour cream on hand.
Grilled Cheeseburgers and chips ~ I had hamburger buns in the freezer that I bought on sale with a coupon and plenty of ground meat. I can already see I am going to have to get creative with ground meat. My original plan was to make baked chips, but it was too hot to turn the oven on. That was a shame as I have a great baked chip recipe that I had not made for dh yet. We also had a piece of a bag of chips that needed to be eaten.

While dh was grilling I had him toss on a couple of marinated chicken breasts for later in the week. I have not quite decided what those will become yet.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I discovered my camera batteries dead earlier today and have them charging. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more colorful.

No comments: