Monday, June 27, 2011

June Daring Bakers Challenge

Erica of Erica's Edibles was our host for the Daring Bakers' June Challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then use that homemade dough to make Baklava.

I was a bit nervous about my first challenge and was relieved that it was something with which I was familiar. I have made Baklava before with store bought phyllo. Prior to this challenge I never even considered making my own phyllo.

Phyllo Dough
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup less 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour and salt. Mix with paddle attachment. Combine water, oil, and vinegar in a small bowl. Add water mixture with mixer on low speed until you get a soft dough. If it appears dry add a little more water. Change to dough hook and let knead for 10 minutes. Remove dough from mixture and knead two more minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and cover with oil. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let rest two hours.


Rolling out the dough was an adventure. I used a large dowel rod. After watching a video of how to do it properly, I got a bit better. My technique still leaves much to be desired. I managed to get it close to thin enough. I chose to make it in a round pan.

My one complaint about Baklava is that it is super sweet. I know that is basically the definition of Baklava. Still I wanted to try a less sweet creation. I melted Nutella and drizzled over the layers of phyllo. Then I topped it with chopped pecans (already on hand). I only buttered every other layer of phyllo to make it flakier. Here is the pre-baked Baklava.






While the Baklava was baking, I mixed up the syrup. I used less syrup than called for to cut down on the sweetness. I mixed equal parts water and sugar, some honey, and a bit of lemon juice. The lemon juice was a great addition and helped cut the sweetness. Once the Baklava was baked, I poured the cooled syrup over the hot Baklava.

Finally a slice of the finished product. I am happy to say I finished the challenge. I will probably not make phyllo dough on a regular basis. It is nice to know I could if I had to do so. I will definitely make Baklava again but will stick to the store bought phyllo.





5 comments:

Tammy said...

That looks delicious! I like phyllo, but don't really use it much - I may have to try this, though!

Audax said...

Welcome and hello to the Daring Bakers and congratulations on your first challenge. Your baklava looks so tasty and delicious well done and great to hear that you enjoyed the process so much well done.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on doing an amazing job on your first challenge :)
You will love being a daring baker..

shaz said...

Awesome work on your first challenge! Welcome to the gang :) The baklava looks perfect and nutella sounds like a great twist. I probably won't make phyllo from scratch again either but it's good to know I can.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first challenge! An amazing job you did.