Monday, June 13, 2011

Pineapple Plants




Part of the fun of a fresh pineapple is sprouting the top and ended up with a plant. I enjoy that as much or more than eating the pineapple. I lost one of my plants to the cold last year, but two survived and are thriving in this hot, humid weather.


This is the oldest of my pineapple plants. I repotted it earlier this spring, and it has really taken off. I also like that they do well with very little water.




This plant has actually sprouted out into three plants. The main one is the smaller in the middle. The two new ones off to the sides are growing better.




This is the third plant left from last year.



These are the three new plants that I sprouted this year. I planted two of them in larger pots only because that is what I had left. They will probably not need to be repotted for a couple of years.




I have yet to get a pineapple sprouting off one of my plants but hopefully will soon. They are a nice addition to the deck as they are. With this very dry weather they are the few plants I have that are still pretty and green.

3 comments:

Susan in SC said...

How very cool! Now, I am going to have to buy a pineapple to try this!

Tammy said...

I'd like to try this, but I know it's a long-term project. We're in the SE-ish part of NE and I know a woman who did this and it took seven years to get a pineapple. It was a teeny tiny one, but she said it was very sweet and tasty. Our local newspaper even wrote a small article about her pineapple. Good luck with yours!

terricheney said...

I like the way these look. I may indulge my desire for a fresh pineapple and try to grow one myself!