Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Freezer Cooking - Homemade Calzones

These pocket sandwiches are similar to a frozen variety available at the grocery store. I needed a quick meal after our yard sale adventure on Friday.  I had some ham in the refrigerator that needed to be used up and also had a package of turkey pepperoni.  I ended up making ham and cheese as well as pizza calzones.  I also added in some chopped mushrooms and finely chopped onion to both varieties.  The dough recipe can be found at Bread World.  It is a wonderful soft dough that mixes up quickly.

I brushed each with an egg wash before they went into the oven.  The pizza calzones got a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning to help differentiate them from the ham calzones.  Once they were baked and cooled.  I put them into gallon freezer bags. 



To serve just reheat for 90 seconds in the microwave.  The crust is still soft and almost as good as fresh baked.  The filling options are practically endless.  I do wish I had added some sort of sauce to the ham and cheese ones as they were a bit empty after being baked.  I just have not yet decided what to use.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Dawn, I made this crust recipe tonight and used it for pigs in a blanket wrappers, It was so easy and just delicious.
Gavin liked them so much, he said " you a good cooker, Grandma"

thank you! I hope to do calzones like yours next week.

Debbie J said...

Saw this at Rhonda's blog. They look good!

Reginas Cottage said...

hello dawn,
that looks very delicious!!!!
have a nice evening,
love regina