Friday, March 23, 2012

Front Porch

Since I started working on the front porch before any other part of the yard, I decided to show that first.  I will be adding a few more containers of flowers later, but it looks nice for now.  I have several hanging baskets of dianthus.  I added in some green plants in hanging baskets in between.  The dianthus were purchased on clearance in early winter.  I think I spent $0.50 for a pack of six plants.  I put two to three in each hanging basket. 

Here is one side of the front door.  The small pot at the front has clearance flowers.  The Japanese ferns are three years old.  This will be year two of the hens.  I hope to get some chicks soon.  The pansies still looked good so I left them in the large pot and added a couple more clearance plants.  You can see those better in the picture below.  We spent $1 on the larger plant and $0.50 on the pink flowering plant.  I have $3 in the two pots on the porch.


Each fall I buy some mums to include in my fall decorations.  I usually find a spot in the yard to put them.  This year I decided to keep them in pots so I will not have to buy more for fall decorating.  For now they are gathered in one corner of the porch.

I saw this in a much larger version on day one of Peaches to Beaches.  I was not willing to pay $12.  I found a smaller pot of the same flower for $3.50 on day two.  I purchased that and will wait for it to grow.  I figure in a month or two it will be the size of the $12 plant.

We ended up with three spider plants for $1 purchased on clearance. Anyone seeing a pattern here?  They are tiny but will grow.  I have the patience to wait.  I can buy more smaller plants rather than a few large plants. I have no idea why it rotated the picture.


Finally is the chenille plant from last year.  It was hit hard by the cold in our unheated greenhouse.  It is slowly sprouting back out though.


Not plant related but on the porch is this....


We are looking forward to a little bird family.  The mother is already very chatty so I imagine it will be loud when the babies arrive.

No comments: