Thursday, February 20, 2014

How to Grow Sprouts

I had a request for instructions on how to grow sprouts.  I am no expert at growing sprouts, but once you get the steps down it is quite easy.








 


I purchased the Victorio 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter which comes with a small amount of alfalfa seeds to get you started.  I was not able to find organic sprouting seeds where I live so I ordered some from Amazon.  The Sprout House offers several different varieties.  I chose a mix of broccoli, clover, radish, and alfalfa which came in a one pound size.  This will last quite a long time as two tablespoons of seeds will fill this particular sprouter.  There are methods using a jar and cheesecloth, but I found it a little confusing and opted to go with a seed sprouter. 


 


Even though I am using organic seeds to be on the safe side I disinfect them. Mix one teaspoon of liquid bleach in one cup of water.  Add two tablespoons of seeds and let them soak for 15 minutes.


 





 


Once the time it up, drain and rinse the seeds.  I use a small tea strainer.  Then divide the seeds among the four trays.  You can spread them out a bit or leave them bunched up.  They do get spread out after the water is added.


 



February 14
 


At this point you will stack the trays with the white tray on the bottom and add 2 cups of water.  You will continue to pour 2 cups of water over the trays every 12 hours.  Remember to empty the holding tray each time or you will have a big mess.  *Take a guess how I know.*






I like to rotate the trays each time I add water.  The top one goes to the bottom each time.  It seems like this helps , but it could just be me.
 

February 16
 


February 18
 

You may see some white fuzz that looks a lot like mold.  It is a normal part of the sprouting process for some of the seeds.  It goes away as they continue to grow.
 

February 19
 
At this point they are ready to harvest.  I like to let mine grown another day, but this is all personal preference.  I am not a big fan of all the seed husks in the sprouts.  I swish them around in a big bowl of water a couple of times.  The husks will separate from the sprouts.  Drain them well; a salad spinner would work for this part.  I usually just let them drip dry well.  I store them in an airtight container with a couple of paper towels to soak up the extra moisture.  These will last about a week in the refrigerator. 
 
If you do not need that many sprouts at once, you can stagger the starting time.  I often will split a tablespoon of seeds (pre-soaked with ½ teaspoon of bleach in ½ cup water) between two trays.  I will repeat it again in about three days with the other two trays.  Of course at my house if there are too many sprouts, the chickens are happy to take them off my hands.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for the sprouting review. That really makes a lot of sprouts. I will try this as soon as I get the materials and seeds. Hoping for a nice addition to salads this summer.