Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Homemade Yogurt to Sour Cream Substitute


I prefer to make ranch dressing but have been looking for a way to make it slightly healthier.  I normally use a combination of mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk along with some seasonings.  Now I am using a small amount of mayonnaise, buttermilk, and Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and part of the mayonnaise.  Greek yogurt can be expensive to buy.  Since I already make my own yogurt, I decided to use that to get Greek yogurt.

 

I needed a simple frugal way to turn drain out the whey from my yogurt.  I decided to use my canning funnel and a coffee filter.  I needed a way to keep the coffee filter from sliding through the funnel – two clothespins did the trick.

 


 

I poured some yogurt into the top and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours.  At the end I had nice thick yogurt that had the consistency of sour cream and made a great substitution for it as well as most of the mayonnaise in my original recipe. 

No comments: