Saturday, June 11, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Murder on a Designer Diet by Shawn Reilly Simmons is book three in the Red Carpet Catering Mystery Series.  The characters worked much better together in this book than in the previous one I read.  The catering business side of the story takes a backseat in this book.  Penelope's friend Max is the top suspect in a model's murder.  She has to help clear his name without ruining her relationship with boyfriend Joey.  I am growing to like Penelope and even her Hollywood friends more and more.  The series continues to improve, which makes me look forward to the next book.

Maggie Sefton's latest book, Knit to Be Tied, is book 14 in the Knitting Mystery series.  I found myself a bit lost as so many characters were introduced at the very beginning.  Since this is the first book in the series that I have read, I was a touch lost.  I was able to straighten everyone out in my mind and jumped into the story.  I found that it had more to do with baseball/softball than knitting.  The conversations do not feel natural and certain aspects were repetitive.  The story also jumped quickly from one thing to the next with no warning or real sequence.  Based on this book I am not at all interested in reading more of the series.

A Premonition of Murder by Mary Kennedy was one of my favorite recent reads.  I loved the southern setting in Savannah.  The characters were wonderful - fun but not perfect.  I enjoy a character with a few flaws as it makes them more believable.  Sisters Ali and Taylor get pulled into the mysterious death of reclusive heiress Abigail after meeting her to interpret a dream.  This is book three in the Dream Club Mystery series, but I was easily able to follow the characters and story.  I am not 100% sold on the dream interpretation aspect of the book, but a couple of the characters are hesitant to believe it all so this is not a deal breaker.  I am anxious to read the other books in the series.  Overall it was a great book with an easy story line to get pulled into.

A Shattering Crime by Jennifer McAndrews is book three in the Stained Glass Mystery series.  I easily slipped into the world of Georgia Kelly.  Georgia is juggling three part-time jobs, a new boyfriend, cat Friday, dog Fifi, and a visit from her mother and her mother's latest husband.  When a local activist is murdered, Georgia's grandfather asks her to help clear the name of Rozelle, local bakery owner.  I enjoyed the characters and the mystery.  The Stained Glass Mystery series is definitely worth reading!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: