Saturday, June 25, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Cracked to Death by Cheryl Hollon is book three in the Webb's Glass Shop Mystery series.  Having read the first book, I jumped at the chance to read another in the series.  I was not disappointed.  The latest book finds Savannah helping her friend Amanda not only to teach her first workshop but also to beat a murder charge.  Add in a mysterious treasure and the same cast of characters from the previous books and Ms. Hollon has another winner!

A bit further out of my usual reading list is Colony of the Lost by Derik Cavignano.  Colony of the Lost falls best under the horror category.  While I am a big fan of horror movies, I rarely read horror books.  I did enjoy Colony of the Lost and found it to be a solid horror story.  The story was different but not in a bad way.  It stayed just this side of being too graphic.  It kept me interested until the end.  Colony of the Lost is a great book to read if you are a fan of the horror genre.

Marriage, Monsters-in-Law, and Murder by Sara Rosett is book nine in the Ellie Avery mystery series.  I was easily able to slip into the world of Ellie and her family in spite of the fact this is the first book of the series I read.  That is always an important thing for me.  Ellie and her family head to the Georgia coast for her sister-in-law's wedding which seems to be cursed.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more by Sara Rosett.  My only negative was the wedding tips throughout the book.  While I see how they could fit into the theme of the book, I was not interested in planning a wedding.  I skipped over them.  They did not add to the story or merits of the book.


High Strung by Janice Peacock is the first book in the Glass Bead Mystery Series.  It took me a bit of time to get into the book as it started off slow.  Once I got through the character introductions and the scene was set, it was an interesting book.  The main character, Jax, moved to Seattle from Miami as a requirement of inheriting her aunt's home.  She is quickly welcomed into the artistic world of glass bead crafting. One murder and an attempted murder need solving before Jax or her friend Tessa end up in jail.  I believe the series has real potential and look forward to reading more.


disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!



No comments: