Saturday, June 4, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

First up in this weekend's book reviews is The Calamity Cafe by Gayle Leeson.  This is the first book in a southern themed cozy mystery series.  The main character Amy Flowers is fed up with working for her bullying boss.  Not only does she turn in her resignation, she also offers to buy the restaurant.  The last part complicates matters when Amy's boss ends up dead.  The plot flows well and kept me interested until the end.  The characters were captivating, especially quirky Homer.  This is a great beginning to the series, and I hope Ms. Leeson continues the Deep South Cafe Mystery series.

Dead End Street by Sheila Connolly is book seven in the Museum Mystery series.  I had no problem following the characters and their backstories even though I have not read any of the previous books in the series.  The mystery was such a small part of this book that it pretty much could have been left out all together.  The story dragged a bit for my taste and was much too focused on politics which I have get enough of on the news already.  This book did not encourage me to read more in the museum series.

My favorite of the three books for this weekend was Murder, Handcrafted by Isabella Alan.  I have read other books in the Amish Quilt Shop Mystery series.  It is easy to jump in at any point and not be lost.  I cannot think of one thing that I did not like about this book.  The characters are wonderful, and the Amish setting only adds to the book.  Angie is thown into the middle of another mystery when an electrician is murdered in her parents' yard.  It is up to her to solve the mystery and save her friend Jonah.  If you are a fan of cozy mysteries, add this book and the entire series to your reading list.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: