Sunday, July 17, 2016

Weekend Book Review: Canning for a New Generation

Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff begins with an introduction of canning terms, techniques, and safety measures.  The recipes are divided into sections by season.  The jams and preserves recipes do have some basics such as classic strawberry, but more advanced combinations (like strawberry and lavender jam) are included.  I did like that the author mentioned Pomona's Pectin, which is my absolute favorite low sugar pectin product.  The book is not strictly canning however.  Recipes using the finished jams/preserves are included as well if inspiration is necessary.  Both fruit and vegetable recipes are covered in the book.

I tried the Sweet Green Tomato Pickles recipe.  The author describes them as addictive, and they truly are.  They take a chicken salad sandwich to a whole new level.  My only regret is that I got enough green tomatoes for just one batch.  I will definitely be making more of these next year.

While the recipes in the book are good, I was not overly impressed.  The green tomato pickle recipe is easily available online. The e-book version was not easily navigated.  If you are considering this book, go with the print version instead.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: