Sunday, July 24, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Food Forensics by Mike Adams has the subtitle "The Hidden Toxins Lurking in Your Food and How You Can Avoid Them for Lifelong Health".  I started reading the book with high hopes but ended up disappointed.  The author admits that the book is technical which is fine.  The problem was with the second half of the subtitle "How You Can Avoid Them".  I felt the author never really came through.  Most of the information was on one of the authors many websites.  That seems to information that would be included in the book.

Nancy Coco's latest book, All You Need is Fudge, is book four in the Candy Coated Mystery series.  While this is the first book in the series I have read, I was easily able to slip into the characters and story based on Mackinac Island.  The book was average.  The story line fell a bit flat for me.  I did not find the main character, Allie, completely engaging.  My problem was her incessant phone calls to her boyfriend.  She came across as a weak, needy person.  The mystery and setting were interesting enough, and I would be willing to give Allie a second chance.

Death at the Day Lily Cafe by Wendy Sand Eckel introduced me to Rosalie Hart.  I loved the side plot lines of the small town characters.  Having a main character who names her chickens does not hurt either.  The book was a fun and light mystery.  Rosalie's new cafe, her farm, and a mystery are the main themes.  I found myself staying up much too late to read, but that is always the sign of a good book!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: