Saturday, July 2, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Final Fondue by Maya Corrigan is the third book in the Five Ingredient Mystery series.  I was easily able to slip into the story of Val and her grandfather.  Val's grandfather rents three rooms in his home to tourists in town for the Tricentennial Festival and wedding planning.  Everything seems to be going smoothly until one of the guests is discovered dead in the backyard.  Val fears she may have been the intended victim and works to find the killer before she becomes the victim.  I enjoyed the setting and the characters.  The added Hitchcock element was a nice touch.  Final Fondue was a fun book, and I look forward to reading more in this series.

Jonathan Melendez's book The Slider Effect is a great cookbook full of miniature treats.  The chapters cover all types of sliders - meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetarian.  Even better were the chapters on the breads and condiments.  Mr. Melendez offers amazing recipes for homemade buns, rolls, and biscuits.  I can easily see myself making the everything bagel slider buns for regular sandwiches.  The recipes are not simple though and do involve a list of ingredients and steps.  At the same time the results are impressive and worth the effort.  I enjoyed the book so much that I added it to my Amazon wish list!

Engaged in Death is book one in the Wedding Planner Mystery series by Stephanie Blackmoore.  Mallory Shepherd is all set to marry the man of her dreams when she finds out through some anonymously sent photos that he is a cheater.  To throw her life into more turmoil, the only member of his family she liked, Grandmother Sylvia, dies suddenly after deeding her the family home.  Hidden paintings, a couple of bodies, and a sister (Rachel) with a crazy idea make for a great book.  Rachel and Mallory must solve the mystery or give up any hope of turning their new home into a bed and breakfast.  I loved this book.  The story line and characters were wonderful.  I am already looking forward to book two in the series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: