Sunday, July 10, 2016

Weekend Book Review: Real Food/Fake Food

Larry Olmsted's book Real Food/Fake Food:  Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It takes a look at the dark side of what is sold in our grocery stores and restaurants.  From juice to cheese and wine to Kobe beef, we cannot always be certain we are eating is what we think it is.

The book opens readers eyes to the false advertising and misleading tactics used to sell food.  I found it a bit scary to learn what government agencies freely allow companies to do.  Mr. Olmsted is very thorough with his explanations.  While the thoroughness is a good thing, I did feel bogged down at times with his long explanations.  The book also seems to jump around from topic to topic and would have benefited from a bit more editing.

Even with a few flaws it is a book that everyone should read.  While I may never actually eat many of the real foods, I will do my best to search out real foods.  Real Food/Fake Food made me very happy to personally know the people that sell me honey.  That alone makes me realize how great real food is.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: