Sunday, October 16, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews: Dogs and Cats

The Secret Language of Dogs by Victoria Stilwell is an in-depth look at how our canine friends think and communicate.  My dog, Leo, is an important member of my family so any insight I can get into having a better relationship is good.  I enjoyed the different suggestions for training dogs.  The book also provided a wealth of information for reading a dogs signs (tail wagging, facial expressions, etc).  This book would be wonderful for a first time dog parent or someone who already has a canine companion.  It is not a long book, but it provides good material and is easy to read.

Abigail Tucker's book, The Lion in the Living Room, is described as being about how cats took over the world.  I just knew I was going to love since I love house cats.  The problem is that I am not certain Mrs. Tucker loves cats.  The book started off well with an anthropological lesson on cats.  Then it quickly morphed into everything that is negative about cats.  Yes, I agree that cats kill too many birds.  Connecting cats in a home during childhood and mental illness was a stretch for me.  I finished the book.  The only reason for that was I expected it to get better.  If you want some basic anthropology on cats and plenty of information on why they are detrimental to the entire world, this is a great book.  However cat lovers might want to steer clear.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: