Saturday, June 24, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Marriage is Pure Murder by Staci McLaughlin is book six in the Blossom Valley Mystery series.  Dana, who works at O'Connell Organic Farm and Spa, is getting married.  She decided that the farm will be the perfect wedding venue, and the entire staff is helping her pull off the wedding.  The bride gets sidetracked when she finds her florist, Bethany, dead.  I have read this series previously, but I do not feel it is necessary to enjoy this book.  The characters and setting are fun, and I especially like Wilbur the pig.  This is a wonderful addition to the series.

The second book in the Oakwood Mystery series by Leslie Nagel is The Antique House Murders.  I had read and reviewed the first book in this series.  The romance and foul language were toned down a bit in this book.  Charley is buying items from the estate of Augusta Mulbridge for her vintage clothing store with help from her mentor Calvin Prescott.  When she goes to collect her items, she found Calvin dead.  Despite warnings from her police officer boyfriend, Charley dives into the complicated investigation.  I liked the book.  The ending was exciting but seemed to drag on slightly.  I found the improvements over the last book to be enough to have me looking forward to book three!

Mulch Ado About Murder by Edith Maxwell is book five in the Local Foods Mystery series.  I have not read any of the previous books in this series.  At the very beginning, I was confused by all of the characters.  I was able to sort everyone out though.  Cam is busy with planting on her farm and a visit from her often absent parents.  Her own mother is protesting the new hydroponic farm when Cam arrives to deliver seedlings. When the new farm's owner is found murdered, Cam's mother is one of the prime suspects.  I really enjoyed the characters and the farm setting in this book.  Cam's father is the perfect match to her mother's personality.  I look forward to more from this series as well as reading previous books.

Vicky Fee's One Fete in the Grave is book three in the Liv and Di in Dixie Mystery series.  This series is not the most in-depth if you are looking for the focus to be on a difficult to solve mystery.  Often I like to read a book for the characters and setting with a little mystery thrown in.  This book easily stands on its own.  I love that it is a good Southern themed book.  Friends Liv and Di are trying to solve the death of an unlikeable citizen of Dixie.  The main suspect is Liv's mother's fiancee, and Liv is determined to keep the wedding plans on track.  I love how Dixie and its citizens are authentically Southern.  The book features plenty of sweet tea and proper Southern manners.  For those reasons and more, this series remains one of my favorites!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: