Sunday, September 17, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Cat Got Your Secrets by Julie Chase is the third book in the Kitty Couture Mystery series.  This book stands easily on its own although I do recommend the others in the series.  Lacy is the owner of Furry Godmother, a pet boutique and bakery.  Lacy's father is accused of murdering a friend, and Lacy finds herself being blackmailed.  A cliffhanger from a previous book is solved, but it is explained along the way so reader of this book alone will not be lost.  This is a clean, light cozy mystery.  While the mystery is not completely strong, it does move along quickly and kept me interested.  I enjoyed this book and look forward to more in the series.

Asking for Truffle by Dorothy St. James is the first book in the Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery series.  Charity Penn has won a trip to Camellia Beach, South Carolina, complete with free cooking lessons at the chocolate shop.  Knowing the she has not entered any contest, she accepts her friend's offer to check it out in advance.  When he dies in a vat of chocolate, Penn's guilt sends her to South Carolina to look into the death.  Initially I did not enjoy this book.  Penn is a difficult character to like.  Her character flaws are blamed on her upbringing, but at this point she is grown and is simply making excuses.  As the book went on her character evolved enough that I would give a second book a chance.  The mystery was interesting.  I was not drawn into this book as much due to the characters.   None of them were particularly heart-warming or inviting.   While it is not bad at all, this book is simply not one of my favorites.  I am not giving up on the series yet though.

disclosure: I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: