Saturday, September 23, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Body on Baker Street by Vicki Delany is the second book in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery series.  Gemma is surprised to be offered a book signing with popular author Renalta Van Markoff even though it is on very short notice.  It turns out that Renalta is not popular with everyone.  When she is found dead, the suspect list is quite long.  Gemma and Jayne, owner of Mrs. Hudson's Tea Shop next to the bookstore, set out to find the real killer.  This book is even better than the first.  Gemma is the perfect female version of Sherlock Holmes from her investigative skills to her bluntness in social situations.  I am already looking forward to the next book!

To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon is the fourteenth book in the Mitford series.  Readers will definitely want to read the previous books before reading this one.  Even though it has been years since I read a Mitford book, I quickly slipped back into the lives of Father Tim, Cynthia, and all the others who live there.  I laughed and cried as I read but was not once disappointment.  For me this book was just as good as the first in the series.  The books do have religious ties, but the strong sense of community is what makes it most enjoyable.  I highly recommend not only this book but the entire series.

Herbs by Judith Hann promises Delicious Recipes and Growing Tips to Transform Your Food.  This book delivers.  It includes information on herbs that are well known but also some lesser known herbs.  I was thrilled to see pineapple and tangerine sage included along with a recipe to use pineapple sage.  I found the growing tips to be useful even for a seasoned gardener.  The recipes gave me creative ways to utilize the herbs growing in my garden.  I also have a list of a few herbs to add to my garden next year.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: