Sunday, September 3, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower is the first book in the Amish Candy Shop Mystery series.  Bailey is a chocolatier in New York City on the verge of becoming head of JP Chocolates.  She drops everything to go to Ohio when she learns her grandfather's health is failing.  Her Amish grandparents own Swissmen Sweets which is being sought after my an Englisch businessman.  When that same businessman ends up dead in the candy shop kitchen, Bailey is the main suspect.  She must clear her name and save her grandparents' reputation.  I really enjoyed this book.  The combination of Bailey who is not Amish and her grandparents works well.  Bailey's personal journey was as big a part of the story as the mystery.  Even though I thought I knew who the killer was, I was surprised by the ending.  This book features a strong religious theme, but it does not come across as pushy.  I loved the inclusion of the polka dot pig, Jethro.  This is a wonderful, clean cozy mystery.  I am already looking forward to the second book in this series.

A Catered Costume Party by Isis Crawford is a Halloween themed cozy mystery.  Sisters Bernie and Libby are catering a Halloween costume party for Darius Witherspoon.  Even though his wife recently disappeared, he carries on with the party.  Unfortunately Darius' grand entrance to the party is at the end of a rope.  Bernie and Libby get pulled into the mystery of Darius' death and his wife's disappearance.  I like how Bernie and Libby play off each other.  Although they are sisters, they have very personalities, and it works great.  I had not read any of the previous books from this series, but I was not lost at all.  I look forward to reading more books by Ms. Crawford!

Vivian Conroy's Rubies in the Roses is book two in the Cornish Castle Mystery series.  I read the first book in this series, which was helpful but not necessary.  Guinevere is continuing her summer job of cataloging books on Cornisea.  A friend of her employer arrives with grand plans of discovering a wedding goblet hidden on the island.  As more people show up to claim the still missing goblet, the castle is thrown into an uproar.  Once a body is found on the island, Guinevere and her sweet dog, Dolly, are again in the middle of a mystery.  I enjoy the setting of this book most of all.  The characters work well together, and the writing style makes the book a joy to read.


disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: