Saturday, November 4, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Sweet by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh promises 110 recipes for sweets and baked goods.  This cookbook definitely delivers.  I would not consider these everyday dessert recipes but many could be.  Thanks to online shopping I was able to get the halva I needed to make the tahini and halva brownies.  They are as addictive and delicious as described in the book.  My mom could not stop talking about how good they are.  I marked several other recipes to try and am expecting the same great results!

Steve Bender's The Grumpy Gardener is an extension of the popular Southern Living column.  Since it is one of the first sections I read in the magazine each month, I was thrilled to see a book was being written.  I was not disappointed.  The book is a wonderful mix of Bender's saucy humor and valuable gardening advice.  While some gardening books are tedious, The Grumpy Gardener is entertaining and fun.  It is a great addition to every gardener's library!

Someone's Mad at the Hatter by Sandra Betting finds hat and headpiece designer Missy working on New Year's Eve without eating any lucky black eyed peas (a Southern tradition).  Her day becomes unlucky when she find a body behind her shop.  It turns out to be a wedding planner.  With the murder hurting her business, Missy sets out to solve the mystery.  I enjoyed the book although I did not find either of Missy's love interests to be worth her time.  Perhaps her boyfriend, Ambrose, was just having an off book.  The book stayed true to its Southern theme which I greatly appreciated. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

terricheney said...

Glad to hear the Grumpy Gardener book is worth while. I like Steve Bender myself. And you made me snort with your last book review "Perhaps her boyfriend...was having an off book." Funny woman!