Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Yard Sale Chair Makeover

Last year W and I purchased a sad looking chair at the Peaches to Beaches yard sale.  It had good bones, but that is the nicest thing I could say about it.  I think we paid $10 for it.  I neglected to take a great before picture.  Here is a mid-deconstruction picture.


The bottom had a cushion which we tossed.  The back had a piece of cardboard covered with fabric.  Each arm was padded.

W opted to get rid of the padded armrests.  We picked out upholstery fabric on sale from Joann's.  He used a couple of old pillows to re-pad the the seat and back.  The back also got a piece of beadboard as we did not want to cover both sides of the back with fabric.  Here is the finished product.



We added decorative nail head strips to cover the edges where it was not perfect.  W painted the chair with a spray primer and a chalk finish spray paint.  We were really pleased with how it turned out.  I think we have about $60 in the chair with the fabric being the most expensive part.  W is in no rush to go into the upholstery business though.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful!

Rhonda said...

Wow! That looks so nice. It looks like it was a lot of work,

terricheney said...

Wow Oh Wow! That is just gorgeous. I love the choice of fabric! I'm with Warren...I've attempted a couple of times to upholster and I know I can do it but not anxious to make it a hobby, lol. Ditto on sewing slipcovers!!

Tammy said...

That looks great - I love the fabric. How did you like the spray chalk paint?