Sunday, November 11, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Homemade Christmas by Yvette van Boven includes over 100 recipes for the holiday season.  The recipes included are best for more adventurous eaters.  The majority of them would not go over well with the crowd I host.  The pictures included are lovely, but the recipes are simply not for me.  I cannot imagine convincing my family to eat broccoli pot pie.  I did see a few dessert recipes that were good.  The Trifle with salty caramel, cheesecake cream, & chewy brownies sounds especially good.  I recommend you take a look at the recipes first especially if your family is not full of picky eaters.

Downright Dead by Pamela Kopfler is the second book in the B&B Spirits Mystery series.  Holly is expecting business at her B&B to pick up after a television show featuring footage of her ghost airs.  The show's host calls to say that are doing a follow up show after a debunker challenges the ghost story.  The problem is that the B&B's ghost has moved on.  The debunker and tv crew arrive and soon a murder occurs.  Flooding strands the guests at the B&B.  Holly must solve the mystery and save her beloved B&B.  The characters are engaging, and I enjoyed the ghost element of the book.  The mystery was strong and kept me guessing.  I look forward to the next book in this series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: