Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Pantry Challege Update

Thanks to the snow day last week on Wednesday I stayed home rather than venture out grocery shopping.  Then it was terribly cold the next day so I did not go anywhere.  I did not spend any money on groceries last week.  I should also add that due to the cold we only had water about 4-5 hours per day.  The south simply cannot handle what y'all in the north put up with on a daily basis.  We ate but not particularly well.  On a day or two it was questionable if we would have water at all, and I did not want a kitchen full of dirty dishes.  I apologize for the lack of pictures.  It was cloudy all week and no food pictures turned out well.


Tuesday W had cereal for breakfast, and I ate a pop tart.  We had a late dinner.  I made a big pot of ham and potato soup using ham from the refrigerator and potatoes from the pantry.  Supper ended up just being some snacks from the pantry.


Wednesday W ate the last pop tart, and I had peanut butter on toast.  Dinner was chicken sandwiches with chicken tenders and homemade hamburger buns both from the freezer.  Supper was a homemade pizza from the freezer.


Thursday We had eggs and toast for breakfast. Dinner was nachos as the plan was to use up an avocado that had finally started to soften.  Unfortunately this particular avocado went from not ready to rotten completely skipping the ripe stage.  Supper was leftover soup from Tuesday and crackers.  I have a seemingly endless supply of the club type crackers.  While cleaning at the church late last year, I found a big box of them.  I knew that we would not use them up at the church so I set them out for everyone who was helping to take.  At the end I took what was left.  I know we are making progress but I wonder if we will ever use them all up.


Friday was eggs and toast again for breakfast.  We do not get as many eggs in the winter months but we generally have enough for our own use.  Dinner was hamburgers and chips (leftover from Christmas).  Supper was a mixture.  W ate a can of ravioli from the pantry.  I had a snack plate:  hummus and crackers, cheese, mixed nuts, and dried fruit.

Saturday through Monday are W's work days.  I pack his food.  This week he took grapefruit juice, a fruit cup, raw almonds, hummus and pretzels, oatmeal, crackers, granola bars, and snack size candy bars as a treat.  I end to eat leftovers for dinner.  Suppers are generally cereal for him and a snack plate for me.


This week though he was home for dinner on Monday.  I took some barbecue out of the freezer and we had barbecue stuffed potatoes.  I chopped up some green onion tops that I regrew in the kitchen window.  I try to keep at least one easy meal on hand. 

1 comment:

Out My window said...

You did great eating out of your pantry.