Sunday, January 7, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Cannoli to Die For by Peg Cochran is book five in the Lucille Mystery series.  Lucille decides to lose weight before her best friend Flo's wedding.  She joins Weigh to Lose but after one meeting the leader of the program is found murdered.  When the police have no suspects, Lucille and Flo decide to solve the crime themselves.  This book like the others in the series is not necessarily serious, but it is fun.  I read it in less than a day and found myself laughing out loud at times.  A great mystery when you need something light but entertaining.

The second book in the Irene's Closet series by Paula Paul is Accessories to Die For.  I had read (and enjoyed) the first book in this series although it is not necessary.  This book missed the mark for me.  The story was disjointed and simply did not flow well.  The amount of criminal/illegal activity by everyone involved was unbelievable.  The wrap up seemed to be an afterthought to the rest of the book.  I did not enjoy this particular book, but I am not giving up on the series.

Bel, Book, and Scandal by Maggie McConnon is the third book in the Belfast McGrath Mystery series.  This is the first book in the series that I have read, but I had no trouble following the characters.  Bel is forced back to the past when she sees a newspaper photo of her long missing high school friend.  Bel must balance her cooking duties at her family's manor with searching for her friend.  I loved the characters including Bel's mix of brothers.  While the book contained several story lines, it flowed very well.  I am looking forward to reading more from this series!

Good Food, Strong Communities by Steve Ventura and Martin Bailkey discusses the problems faced by people in urban areas with regards to fresh fruit and produce.  Having always living in a rural, farming community this book was eye opening for me.  It discusses the multiple problems and possible solutions.  I wish the book had a better flow from topic to topic, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: