Saturday, January 6, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Ditched 4 Murder by J.C. Eaton is the second book in the Sophie Kimball Mystery series.  Sophie (Phee) is living full time in Arizona but with a bit of space from her mom's retirement village.  Phee is working with a former co-worker Nate at his private detective agency.  Her job entails mainly bookkeeping but she seems to get pulled into investigations anyway.  In this book she gets coerced into helping plan her 74 year old aunt's outlandish wedding.  When murder victims start being linked to her aunt's fiance, he goes on the run.  Phee must solve the mystery and save the wedding or face her eccentric aunt's drama.  This is a fun series, and I adore Phee.  She has endless patience for dealing with her crazy family.

The fifth book in the Kurland St. Mary Mystery series by Catherine Lloyd is Death Comes to School.  I had not read any of the previous books but had no trouble jumping right into this one.  I will admit that I am not normally a fan of period cozy mysteries, but Ms. Lloyd's book is an exception.  I was immediately drawn to Lucy, the rector's daughter and wife of Sir Robert Kurland.  The serenity of  Kurland St. Mary is disturbed when several people including Lucy receive letters accusing them of horrible things.  It gets worse when the local teacher is found murdered.  Lucy is a strong woman especially for England in the late 1800s.  The book was well written, and I can easily see this series becoming one of my favorites!

Sweet Revenge:  Passive-Aggressive Desserts for Your Exes & Enemies by Heather Kim would be a great gift for a girlfriend dealing with a breakup.  The book is geared more toward teens, and that is evident from some of the ingredients.  The monster cookies include nacho cheese chips, and an ice cream sandwich is made with hot Cheetos.  I opted not to try any of the recipes.  Not all of the recipes include weird ingredients, but that is not the only problem.  The ingredient list of the cinnamon rolls in particular as well as the cakes left me questioning if they would even work.  The ratios of ingredients for many of the recipes would never yield good results.  While it is a nice idea, as a cookbook I am not impressed.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: