Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Goal

Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to focus on savings this new year for a specific goal. My goal is a NEW home in the country. Dh and I are blessed to have a paid for home to live in, but it is an old home - 100+ years. It is also not one of those grand old homes. Among its high points I list "we will never die of carbon monoxide poisoning" as the house has too many holes or air vents if I want it to sound better.

Our goal of a new home is to build it without a mortgage. Yes, we want to build it as we have the money. Our first goal is to get the basic structure build or to dry it in. We will be doing the inside work ourselves. In June 2007 we did Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. In less than a year we paid off all our debts and started saving. We are one-fourth of the way toward our first money goal amount. Yes, I know we can get a mortgage, but we do not want one. I look at the housing mess of 2008, and I want no part of it. Another reason is pure stubbornness. We have had several people tell us it is impossible in this ecomony to save enough money to build a house. I want to prove them wrong and do it while I am primarily a housewife!

I am going to be focusing much more on saving. I should point out that I will be having some fun money. I think many people associate saving and budgeting with being miserable. I do not want to be miserable. This is aside from the amount that we already save from dh's paycheck. I have no specific amounts in mind. I simply want to give myself an open challenge to save as much as I can.

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

Dawn - god for you in being debt free and wanting to build debt free! I know you can do it without any problems!!