Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reading - A 2011 Goal

I have always been a big reader. Every summer I won the library contest for most books read. I actually saw the former librarian a few years ago in a store and she recognized me. I obviously have not changed much and spent many hours in the library. I attribute my love of reading to two things. First I am an only child. Reading opened a limitless world to me. Second I grew up in a family of readers and had parents who took me to the library.

Of course with a love of reading comes a love of books. I no longer frequent the library as my reading tastes have outgrown my small town library. I also just love seeing my own shelves piled with books. I had a designated space but my books long since surpassed that. One of my 2011 goals is to read these books and free up some shelf space.

Normally when I go to choose a book, I stand in my craft room where my bookshelves are and stare for a bit. The options are a bit overwhelming. *No pictures as the room is atrocious and embarrassing, but that is part of a separate goal.* To remedy that and make more progress, I picked a shelf and have started reading. The books are mixed enough that I am finding variety. Since I am reading from one area, I am also seeing progress.

Some books are too good to let go. I did not start this expecting to completely clear out all of my books. Although I know I will pass on many. Some are swapped via PaperBack Swap or Title Trader. Others get passed on to friends or family. The rest are donated to a local store that has a free bookshelf.

I recently finished reading Stupid History. It was a collection of short paragraphs on different historical misconceptions. It was interesting and good for short spurts of reading time.

2 comments:

Susan in SC said...

I gave away all of my books several years ago. I had hundreds and they were taking over the house. I love to read too. I haven't really missed the books like I thought I would. It's nice to go to the library and browse. Good luck in thinning your shelves.

terricheney said...

I have culled about 50 books from my shelves and think I shall cull more as I read. Like you I love having books of my own and seldom find books to my taste on the local library shelves (all glossy best sellers).

Gracious! I can't imagine doing as Susan in SC did and getting rid of them ALL...who would I talk to during the day?lol