Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How to Dehydrate Carrots



I am slowly learning to dehydrate more items.  I found carrots on sale for $0.50 per pound earlier this month.  It seemed like a good opportunity to try dehydrating carrots for the first time.  I read instructions at several different websites and got started.  First I peeled the carrots and then sliced them with the mandolin using the medium setting.  Next I blanched the carrot slices for 3 minutes.  At the end of 3 minutes, the carrot slices went into a bowl of ice water.  I drained the carrot slices and spread them in an even layer on the dehydrator trays.  I took them out of the dehydrator after 6 hours.  They might have been dry enough prior to that, but I did not check. 





Curious what about 2 1/2 pounds of carrots look like when they are dehydrated......










They definitely shrink down in size.  These are much easier to store and will last longer.  I plan to use them in tomato basil soup later this week.


 

No comments: