Monday, May 12, 2014

Garden Update


Sorry for the extended absence.  I spent last week trying to finish up the garden.  W and I also went out of town for a day.  Add in the regular chores and animals and I was left with little time for the computer.  I thought I would start off the week with an update on the garden. 

 

I am so glad that I put pots of herbs around the front door.  It is so nice to get a scent of mint or lavender as I go in and out.

 


 

The raised beds are coming along well.  I have some maintenance to do this week.  The tomato plants need to be tied up, and I want to plant more lettuce and spinach.

 

 

The main garden is nothing impressive yet, but I hope it will be full of green seedlings in a couple of weeks.  This year we have okra, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, peppers, peas, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and lettuce planted.  I am going to plant some extra pepper plants in there this week.

 


 

I did get two harvests of garden peas before the plants died from all of the rain.  I pulled up the plants and have them drying in the greenhouse.  I expect to pick enough dried garden peas off them in a few weeks to have seed for next year’s planting.  It is nice to have completely free seed which makes gardening even more thrifty!

No comments: