Monday, May 19, 2014

Spring Dessert


 

 

Making homemade ice cream with a custard base means many leftover egg whites.  I divided them into the amount needed to make a full size or small size angel food cake and froze them.  I took one container out of the freezer this past weekend, allowed them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and then come to room temperature on the counter.  I used them to make a full size angel food cake.  It turned out well except for the fact that it fell a bit.  I am not blaming that on the egg whites having been frozen but rather on baker error.  It tasted great which is all that matters.

 


 

I cannot think of anything that goes better with angel food cake than fresh strawberries, which are in season in my garden.  These are not all the perfect little gems you would find in the grocery store.  I happily trade appearance for amazing taste.  When sliced they look lovely.

 


 

What happens to all of those yucky bits? 

 


 

They could easily have been composted.  I thought instead that they would be a tasty treat for the chickens.  I popped them into the refrigerator again until the following day.

 

The container you see above was saved from when I had purchased strawberries.  I think it might even be a couple of years old.  It is handy for storing my homegrown strawberries (and later cherry tomatoes) in the refrigerator.  I have a stack of them just for this purpose.

No comments: