Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fig Jam


I made this a couple of weeks ago but have just gotten around to writing up the post.  As usual I used Pomona pectin which is very forgiving with the amounts made.  You can increase or decrease the recipe with no problems.

 

I picked figs with no particular amount in mind.  I ended up with 6 cups once they were all mashed.  I added in 6 tablespoons of lemon juice and 6 teaspoons of Pomona calcium water.  In a separate bowl I added 4 ½ teaspoons of Pomona pectin and 1 ½ cups sugar.  I love using less sugar as it really makes the flavor of the fruit the star of the jam.

 


 

Once the fruit mixture came to a boil, I dumped in the sugar mixture.  Once it came back to a good boil, I filled half pint jars.  (Jams/Jellies which are low in sugar do not last as long as those full of sugar.)  I processed these in a water bath.

 

No comments: