Sunday, August 3, 2014

Testing, Testing - Fig Cookies & Birthday Cake Ice Cream


I apologize for running a bit behind this week.  I did manage to try out two more recipes this past week with mixed results.  First I decided to make homemade fig cookies.  I found this recipe.  Mistake number 1 was trying to make any type of roll out dough while under a heat advisory.  I struggled through and got it rolled out.  Fortunately I only made half a recipe.  Even with my best intentions, they turned into a mess. 

 


 

Still they might have been okay except they were entirely too sweet,.  Not paying attention to the amount of sugar was mistake number 2.  I have mentioned before that I am not big on very sweet desserts.  The cookie dough was more like a sugar cookie than the dough normally found on fig cookies.  I am not giving up on the idea of homemade fig cookies, but I am giving up on this recipe.  It is just not for me at all.

 

The second recipe had a good flavor but not a good appearance.  I tried out this recipe for birthday cake ice cream.  (I used the custard version as ice cream made with eggs lasts longer in the freezer than ice cream made without.)  It was straightforward and worked out well until I reached the last step of pouring the sprinkles in during the last five minutes of churning.  Ever wonder what happens when you mix the colors of the rainbow?  This is what happens:

 


 

In spite of the awful not so good color, the ice cream actually tasted very good.  It was exactly like birthday cake ice cream.  My plan is to try this again and gently stir in the sprinkles after it has finished churning.  Hopefully that will help it hold the white color of the ice cream with colorful sprinkles dispersed throughout. 

 

This week just goes to prove that not all recipes turn out picture perfect.   Sometimes they still taste good and other times you just cut your losses and move on. 

No comments: