Saturday, April 23, 2016

Weekend Book Review: The Daughters of Red Hill Hall

Best described as a historical mystery/thriller, The Daughters of Red Hill Hall by Kathleen McGurl spans two generations of friends as close as sisters.  First Rebecca and Sara and then Gemma and Nat are friends who grew up to be closer than many sisters.  Sadly jealousy began to seep into the bonds of friendship and tear apart the relationships.

The story goes back and forth between 1838 and 2015.  The change in time is marked by the change in chapters so it is easy to keep track of what is happening.  I enjoyed the story of Rebecca and Sarah a bit more than the one of Gemma and Nat . The main reason for this was Gemma's lack of fight or even the slightest ability to stand up for herself.  She basically allowed herself to be a doormat, and I found that part very annoying.

The mystery was good.  I stayed up much too late one night reading as I was so caught up in the story.  While not a fluffy book, this would be a great summer read!

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: