Saturday, April 16, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews

Keep Me Posted by Lisa Beazley was a book that I really wanted to love.  Two sisters (Cassie and Sid) decide to become pen pals in an effort to get back in touch with each other's lives.  Things are going well until Cassie decides to save the letters by creating a private blog that becomes public.  I have pen friends and was intrigued by a book of people writing letters rather than e-mailing or checking in on social media.  


I had several issues with the book though.  First I wondered why Cassie created a blog rather than saving them to a jump drive or external hard drive.  Second the letters were like nothing I have ever sent or received.  I chalked that up to Cassie and Sid being sisters rather than friends.  Sid's letters were interesting, but Cassie came across as a whiner and a bit of a drama queen.  Parts of the book were a bit crude for my taste.  At times I liked the book, but at other times I hated it.  Overall it was just okay.  


Dying for a Taste is the first book in the Sally Solari mystery series by Leslie Karst.  Following her mother's death, Sally Solari returns to the family restaurant to help her father.  The plot was interesting, but there was just so much going on.  The characters were somewhat likeable but not my favorite.  I cannot quite put my finger on the reason I did not love this book.  It was a good book just not a great start to a new series.  I would give a second book a try though.  

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: